Saturday, December 3, 2011

GOD IS IN OUR FAILURES

He replied, ‘You of little faith, why are you so afraid?’ Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.” Matthew 8:26 (NIV)
I have  failed in so many things in my life. Made so many bad choices and mistakes.

As I look back at my 45+ years as a wife and mother and career woman I again look for my passion and what I really want to do when I grow up. I am sure many of you have and are there. No matter what age we are.
I failed so many times at being the wife that is portrayed in Proverbs 31: 10-31. How perfect is this woman. I know as I look back I absolutely did not meet that mark. But God was there with me.

I also failed at being the mother I should have been. Proverbs 31: 26 says She opens her mouth with wisdom, and loving instruction is on her tongue. How many times I should have used wisdom with my children as they were growing up. Again God was there with me.

Then there were all the jobs I have tried and not succeeded at. Trying to find my way as a career woman.  What is a career woman anyway? God again was with me.

Yes, I failed at a lot during those years where I was trying to figure out what to do with my life. At the time each of these things felt like the worst that could have happened. Now, I think they were the best worst things.

Had these things been successful, I would have never discovered the joy of knowing the LORD as I know HIM now. Of serving HIM in capacities only the LORD can do for us.  Such as the passion of blogging.
I see this same theme woven throughout many stories in the Bible.

In Matthew 8:23-24 we find Jesus getting into a boat with His disciples. “Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat.” Worst thing.
But in verse 26 Jesus got up and rebuked the winds and waves and things turned completely calm. The disciples were amazed. They had been fearful. Best worst thing.

In Acts 5:12 we find the apostles being arrested and thrown in jail. Worst thing.
But in Acts 5:13 we find an angel of the Lord opening the doors of the jail and bringing them out. Later we find them with so much confidence they boldly proclaim, “We must obey God rather than men!” (v. 29) Again were they not frightened?  Best worst thing.

I don’t understand why we have to go through the things we do sometimes. And I certainly know there are many worse things to go through than what I’ve mentioned here. Been there with those also.

We live in a broken world full of broken people. But isn’t it comforting to know God isn’t ever broken? He isn’t ever caught off guard, taken by surprise, or shocked by what happens next. God always knows what is ahead for us and what will be next. God is never taken by surprise.

He can take our worst and add His best. We just have to make the choice to stay with Him and keep following Him through it all. Even if it takes the rest of our lives we must trust the LORD for all we have and be thankful for what we do have. The times we are in now will grow us for what is ahead of us. With GOD that will only be the best.

Deuteronomy 1:29-30

Amplified Bible (AMP)
29Then I said to you, Dread not, neither be afraid of them.
    30The Lord your God Who goes before you, He will fight for you just as He did for you in Egypt before your eyes,
  
Dear Lord, I know only YOU are capable of taking my worst and turning it into Your BEST. Show me this truth anew today. Refresh my spirit. I want to follow You through it all. As the scripture says above, do not be afraid.  In Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment